1) Ditch Strict Diet Rules and Focus on Simple Ones. Forget fad diets, counting calories and measuring every spoonful. Focus on eating real, whole foods. Eat when you’re physically hungry, eat slowly and stop when you’re satisfied not full.
2) Practice Positive Self Talk: How would you encourage a child? Probably using kind and positive words right? Do the same with yourself – especially when it comes to sticking to a healthy diet and exercise routine. It works like magic!
3) Celebrate your victories and stop dwelling on your set backs. Congratulate yourself on eating that apple! If you slip up on your diet, don’t fret, just forget and move on. You’re more likely to make more better choices in the future and stick to healthy eating when you focus your attention on the positives.
4) Find what brings you JOY and and do it often. So often we go to binge eating “for fun” as it temporarily boosts serotonin (happy hormone) in your brain. Find something else that truly brings you joy and happiness. Spending time with friends, finding a new hobby, a good book, connecting with nature..
5) Be Patient and Kind with yourself. Don’t beat yourself up if you mess up one day, move on! It takes time to pursue a healthy and fit lifestyle.
6) You’re the one in Control! – Stock your house with real, whole and healthy foods. – Rid your pantry of the bad ones. – Schedule at least 3 workouts in per week. – Eat slowly.
7) ONE Thing at a time! Start by changing just ONE thing in your diet. That will eventually become a habit and then you tackle the next thing
8) Focus on what you can ADD to your diet not take away: Restrictive thinking can lead you eating a whole lot more of the “bad” things.
9) Recognize Boredom, Stress and Anger: Emotions can lead to binge eating when you’re not even hungry. Slow down, take a breath and re-think. – See number 4.
10) Beef up Your Breakfast! Eat protein in the morning. Nourish your body and it will love you back!